COD4 Crashing, HELP!

skylin3

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have this problem.

When I launch my game everything works fine, but when i join a server (happened with the promod one too) my monitor turns off, like the PC goes on standby, so the PC is still running, but it goes like in standby, the monitor simply shuts down... and i have no way to take it back, unless i restart my computer. :unsure:

I don't think its a monitor problem or graphic problem, because it happens only with cod4 apparently. I tried playing GTA-SA and PES13 for hours and everything works perfectly, i dont know whats happening. It started doing this since 1-2 days, it never did it and the game always went fine.

I already updated graphic drivers, scanned for virus and used CCleaner, i dont know what else to do, help me :(
I could always try to reinstall the game, but any of you know why is this happening? Or ever had this problem?

Magneset

Reaction score
Try reinstalling it. Could be that some files are corrupt and are screwing with the driver.

skylin3

Reaction score
EDIT: It just did the same with gtasa.... I was playing it for about 3 hours and now i had the same problem...

Tried to put a hand on the Graphic card but its not hot, the temperature never grows more than 50-55°C since the game its old and not so big... Jesus what the hell is this...

EmoPig

Gay of the Year
Management
Reaction score
Try using an older driver for the video card.

P.S. - You overclocked the video card, processor or memory? If you did so, then put them back on stock frequency and see if it's working.

JetsonRay

Retired Member
Reaction score
Sacrifice a lamb to Zeus and he will fix everything

damn

Reaction score
Have you installed anything in the past few days? Try using system restore and roll-back to one of your save points, maybe 1 or 2 weeks and see if it helps. If not, I'd definitely try re-installing the game, usually solves minor problems. Other things you can do is to either update drivers (try beta drivers as well, the newest ones) or disconnect your monitor, blow in the cable etc. Sometimes some stupid things actually help, so try everything :) I've had a similar thing happening to me on my old computer. It could either be that your graphics card is at its end (how old is it?) or that your monitor is at its end. Also, most computers have 2 graphic cards, one is usually integrated on the motherboard, so at the back of your computer you should see 2 holes in which you can plug in your monitor cable (usually the blue ones). Try unplugging it from your main graphics card and plug it into the integrated one (the integrated probably sucks hard, but it should be able to run cod4 at low settings) and just test to see if it happens again when you play. If it does, my best guess is that your main graphics card is dying, but i am no expert on this. If nothing above solves the issue, the last resort would be formatting or call a computer guy to fix it for you.

EDIT: Also, this guy in this topic had the same problem as you described, and the problem was solved. How old is your computer? If it's not under warranty anymore, you can open the side and blow out the dust that has gathered in it. I suggest doing this at least once a year because it can cause heat problems and whatnot. If you have an air compressor machine at home, just blow in it from a safe distance to not damage anything by the pressure.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/solved-monitor-goes-to-sleep-358391.html

UFO

Retired Member
Reaction score
maybe is very simple the problem,try to change the battery of mainboard,lithium battery it cost 1.5 euro only,is the round battery on mainboard.

RooT

Retired Member
Reaction score
have you put a new device?, dvd, hard disks, music target? , maybe your main energy is not enought and you must buy another more powerful.

skylin3

Reaction score
News: Removed my Video Card and cleaned it inside the fans etc, even if i had not an air compressor, I just removed TONS of dust inside it... i was shocked...

After that I installed the newest chipset drivers and restarted my pc.

BEFORE: As soon as i joined the server, the monitor was shutting down etc.

NOW: I tried joining, and it went perfect, without no problems. I didnt tried to play a while tho, I just made a round to see if it was crashing, and it SEEMS to work fine, Maybe the dust were ''blocking'' the fan to run as it should, and the video card were turning off causing that problem?

damn

Reaction score
It's possible, dust is never good inside your machine :) But you'll see now if this continues or you solved it.

skylin3

Reaction score
JetsonRay said:
I doubt its solved ;)
It fucking did it again... fu Jetty... you know whats the problem?

I doubt its my video card, or it will happen with every game... WTFF WHY MEEEE WHYYYY

damn

Reaction score
Did you try the things I suggested? Switching to the other graphics card? Give us an update of what you tried ...

skylin3

Reaction score
Tried installing new video card drivers, nothing. Tried installing chipset drivers, nothing. Tried cleaning my Video card, nothing.

I didn't tried switching to the other card, but i dont get how it can be the video card... I mean, the temperatures are NEVER more than 50-55°C and with GTA Sa almost never happened, and cod4 is not a new game... The hell... i dont really have cash to buy new components right now... thats why im trying to fix it without buying PC parts :/

damn

Reaction score
Well even if temperatures are not high, it could still be the graphics card. How old is your computer? If you have another monitor somewhere in the house, try connecting it to see if it helps. And try switching to the other graphics card.

My computer just died one day out of nothing :) no warning, no nothing. motherboard, graphics card and PSU died at the same time

Bean

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I hate when PC doesn't work correctly then you gotta eliminate 10392943940023929329 things to find the real problem.. FUCK. :lol:

skylin3

Reaction score
Bean said:
I hate when PC doesn't work correctly then you gotta eliminate 10392943940023929329 things to find the real problem.. FUCK. :lol:
Pure truth! Damn... its impossible...

@KZ It's not cod4 cause is doing it with other games too like AC4 and PES13, it NEVER happens with Gtasa, for some reason.

@Damn I guess I will try to switch to the ingrated graphic card, and I will try to change monitor too, but if it was the monitor, the problem should happen even when im not playing.. i think.

Btw my VGA is an Ati radeon HD 5770, my PC should have 1y and a half, or 2 years, dont remember the exact age.

damn

Reaction score
Did you try to change the power settings as someone suggested on that link I provided in my other post? If monitor switch and graphics card switch doesn't change anything then I really don't know what else it could be :D maybe PSU is not providing enough power, don't know :S

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)