can someone ansmer my noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan

Reaction score
why it seems more difficult for a low pinger to hit a high pinger???
i.e my ping 30-40 and my nemesis 90-100

then every time my nemesis seems to be able to see me earlier than i see him

ivan

Reaction score
who's |No1|Storm !!!???? no my question was a general question it applies to my gay lover this |No1|Storm !!! guy and whoever else has higher ping than me

Xavii

Senior Admin
Reaction score
lower ping = faster u see, but the diference is not that big. maybe your problem is with fps and not ping.

beeswax

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Usually...

lower ping = closer to server, that represents the true game status (call it "Reality" if you like) = you see the enemy earlier
higher ping = farer from the server = you see the enemy later

but... if the high ping results in a 'laggy' performance of one player, the other player may have hitreg problems because the enemy is just not at the location where you see him - therefore, u miss the hitbox. But lag is not the same as high ping. There are laggy players which have pings of 50-60 (rare), others are lagfree wih a ping of 140 (often).

So... if he's got a higher ping and is lagfree, and he still kicks your ass, then there are only 2 (apart from cheating) possibilities left:

1. He's better than you.
2. You are worse than him.

:D:p :D

I hope that helps and my english is good enough to understand what I mean...

Cheers!

ivan

Reaction score
bodhisattva actually i dont agree with you.

after some thoughts i think i know the the answer: please correct me if you guys disagree

altought i am not a pro in game programming but we can still apply common sense.

first of all we know that the communication between server and clients are "discretised".
i.e. at the client end, a continous movement is represented by a certain number of points each containing speed and direction vectors.
these discretised information will then be processed by the server and apply some kind of compensation and feed back to the client to look continuous.

now

lower ping = closer to server - that means the true game status of the low pinger will be more accurately represented.
imagine a 30ms pinger and a 60ms pinger the server will get update information from the low pinger twice the amount than that from the high pinger.

so at the low pinger end what he really sees is a more faked image and the hight pinger sees a less faked image

now imagine these two start shooting each other based on what they've seen at present, and remember the movement involved must be intense, both ends see image that is not real.

when the shooting commend is sent to the server, the server needs to judge who's shot by comparing the newly updated info. since the high pinger update its info less frequent it is harder to make the compensation (movement prediction) close to truth and the server is more likely to make correction if the newly updated info from high pinger violates its prediction. And this means even if the low pinger thinks he shot the high pinger, the server disagree

at the high pinger end its another story, since the low pingers movements are more accurately represented (cuz twice the update), what high pinger sees is closed to truth and less likely to be corrected.

ok hope you guys know what i am saying

KrazyFire

Founder
Reaction score
Less pinger has better shot register than 60ms since when he shots its registers 30 ms faster :D

beeswax

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hey Ivan!

imagine a 30ms pinger and a 60ms pinger the server will get update information from the low pinger twice the amount than that from the high pinger.

That is wrong, the amount of updates is the same for both players, the update information is just "travelling" longer for the high pinger.

Example:
Server sends out an updated image of the game situation every 1ms.
Round start -> player 1 (Ping = 30ms) receives Images @ 30 ms, 31 ms, 32 ms, and so on.
Round start -> player 2 (Ping = 60ms) receives Images @ 60 ms, 61 ms, 62 ms, and so on.

I can for sure say that lower ping is a slight advantage. I think that this is just because of the closer distance to the true game situation and the resulting lower need to predict anything that happend between the point x on the server and the same point x on the clients game (30 ms later), and vice versa. The Telekom (biggest german phone & DSL-Provider) offers a so called "fastpath" option for gamers. That means that they stop an error correction procedure between the client and the Telekom server, which greatly reduces pings. (Mine went down from 50-60 to 25-30. A lot of ppl called me a pinglucker ever since... lol) Before I moved to my current adress, I had a 16K DSL connection, and the service knot where I logged on was 50m down the road. I had pings of 15-25 on all western european servers and the disadvantage when playing from my new house (in the beginning without fastpath) with a ping of 50 or even 60 was drastic...

ivan

Reaction score
ok i admit i am wrong about the lag concept

but as you said"
"the closer distance to the true game situation and the resulting lower need to predict anything that happend between the point x on the server"

now the question is who gets benefits from this more accurate prediction

ivan

Reaction score
there is still the time standard issue is there, the server use prediction to bring the time difference to its own standard, and more lag needs more prediction and possibly more more mistake

if the server just let us shoot at the faked image and agree with it then it's easy for all of us and nobody gets benefit.

however i dont think server do this cuz its just sounds lame it needs to compare the information (location, speed, blablabla vectors) before and after the shot to correct prediction.

and remember in reality high pinger is playing at a time later than the low pinger and what he sees is more real

low pinger is playing at a time prior to high pinger and what he sees is just the dirty imagination of the server

so who's got more benefit i really cant be sure but from the points i presented above it really gives me the feeling that life is easiler for high pinger

I've played COD4 for about 2 yrs according to my experience i do have subjective feeling that when my ping is higher i usually kicked others' ass but if my ping is lower i still kick ass but less :D

beeswax

Honorary Member
Reaction score
there is still the time standard issue is there, the server use prediction to bring the time difference to its own standard, and more lag needs more prediction and possibly more more mistake

True, but this is a LAG issue, we were talking about PING. As i mentioned before, lag and ping dont have anything to do with each other. You can have a good and stable ping and lags, and you can have also a very high ping but no lags. Ping = connection distance / signal flow time. Lag = connection stability / error rate.

if the server just let us shoot at the faked image and agree with it then it's easy for all of us and nobody gets benefit.

I don't think thats's true... for example:

Imagine 2 players shooting each other, both have an identical ping of 200. Player 1 sees player 2, jumps up and shoots him with a Headshot (Instakill). From seeing the enemy until shooting him dead it takes 180 ms (very fast, I know, it's just an example). Player 2 does just the same with player 1 in 'his game reality'. After 200ms, both clients give the information to the server, that each player shot the other. What now? On player 1's game, player 2 stood somewhere, feet on the ground, and caught a bullet straight in the head. On player 2's game, he wasn't standing there but also jumping - and vice versa... So you see, there has to be a single, unique 'reality' of the game in which it is decided which player did what and when. Having each clients game as it's own 'true' reality would mean, that a large amount of interactions between the clients would fail.

and remember in reality high pinger is playing at a time later than the low pinger and what he sees is more real

low pinger is playing at a time prior to high pinger and what he sees is just the dirty imagination of the server

Sorry - either I don't understand your point or it's just the other way. The guy with the high ping has the 'dirtier' image of the servers game.

so who's got more benefit i really cant be sure but from the points i presented above it really gives me the feeling that life is easiler for high pinger

Nope, high ping = disadvantage. But as i mentioned, often a high ping is a result of a bad connection and goes hand in hand with LAGS. And having lags CAN BE an advantage to a client. Maybe you mean that?

If you don't believe me, beliefe the internet's reference to fps gaming: click me

and finally...

Pls dont be mad about that, it's just a joke, m8! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)