Graphics card problem

damn

Reaction score
Hello guys :)

I have a question and am hoping you could provide the answer :D

Last week my computer crashed, completely fried or something, couldn't even turn it on. Anyway, I took it to a repairman, and he said he has to change the motherboard and graphics card, 'cause they're fried :D

My specs before the crash:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66 Ghz
4GB RAM
Gforce 250 GTS 1GB
Gigabyte something something motherboard

I bought the comp in March 2010, I could run all games on high quality and all (in cod4 i had 150-250FPS with def cfg all on high or extra), even the MW3 worked smoothly with no problems.

My specs after the crash:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66 Ghz
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6450 Silent 1GB
Gigabyte something something better motherboard

I checked the review on this radeon graphics card and it had 4/5 stars and it's fairly new, this model came out last year, while the Gforce one is from 2009 so I thought this might play some role, too. I was wrong.

I installed CoD4 and wanted to play, I configured everything as I always did when I install a new copy of CoD. Graphics driver is up to date, punkbuster up to date, i have patch 1.7 etc etc.

When I came on the server I had 20 FPS...
-> lowered my resolution: 30 FPS
-> lowered resolution to 1024x768 and turned off shadows, glows, etc...and set texture to high instead of extra: 50-60 FPS
-> set texture to low and water and model details to low: 120-150 FPS

By the time of the last step the graphics were like playing CoD on a fridge.

So what I'm asking is for you opinion on this matter. Is there really such a huge gap between these two graphic cards that my previous Gforce performed extremely good on all these games and this Radeon can't even run a game like CoD that came out 4 years before the card itself...

Thanks for your help in advance,

damn

Reactions: CRAZ1EE

damn

Reaction score
awwwwh daaayum! >.<

Okay thanks for help, I guess I'll have to whip up some dough for a new one :D

CRAZ1EE

Reaction score
I recommend GTX 580, the one I've got :) , its pretty good :D

damn

Reaction score
Ok so I came up with a temporary solution: Gigabyte GeForce GT 630 2GB PCI-E (GV-N630-2GI)

Since I'm not packed with money I think this one will serve well...it costs 67€ and I checked its performance on futuremark.com reviews and it runs cod2, 4, mw2, mw3 on minimum and recommended settings, also GW2 and Aion work on minimum and recommended.

And the games I play most of the time are CoD4, Aion, and I bought GW2 now.

So do you think this one would last for another year or two? I plan to buy a new computer by then ...

Thanks everyone :)

EDIT: How can I know if this card would be compatible with my motherboard?

JetsonRay

Retired Member
Reaction score
U simply can't know! I think fate has a bad one on U...good luck with dqt

CRAZ1EE

Reaction score
That is an improvement to your current graphics card, and most motherboards should run any graphics cards so I dont think that should be a problem. You could just check at any pc shop. But I think to stay safe just buy a slightly better Graphics card, its my opinion but I think it means that in the future you wont have to upgrade it. The GTX 460 or even the 560 is a decent choice, high ratings aswell. But it goes for 105 - 150 euros. Just my opinion but you should ask around a bit more then make a decision. :)

KeYeS

Deleted Account
btw: i wonder what happend to your old specs before u took it to ur "repairman" ?

I mean... isnt it possible that it just got overheated and got disabled for an hour or two? some or i think most computer have some kind of security shutdown because of heat...

correct me if im wrong

KrazyFire

Founder
Reaction score
when graphics card overheat the fix is easy open the fan make sure only board and metal plate is there and put it in the oven at 240 degress for 10 mins take it out u and u a have freshly baked graphics card put the fan back then plug it in voila its fixed thats how im using my card i replaced his old card used his card in oven and now it works :D for last 1 year

damn

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the answers :D

@CRAZ1EE Yes I think so, too. I will go ask tomorrow. And yes I know that's a huge improvement, but I want something nearly the same as my old GeForce GTS 250 so I can cope with it for another 2-3 years :) This Radeon is pure shiet, so I have to replace it :) Thanks for your help!

@Kiehs He told me that the PSU died, but he fixed it. Then he said that the motherboard is fried as well, the little chip thingies or whatever they're called got fried, and he couldn't solder it back together, so he put in a new motherboard, a better one he said. Don't know why he didn't put a better graphics card as well >.< Anyway, I didn't know that the graphics card died until the day I went to pick up the computer. Maybe it's not even dead, I'll try to connect it back in, and we'll see :)

@KrazyFire Are you completely sure about this or are you joking? :D I mean if my graphics card is done for, there's no harm in trying that, but I worry more about the oven than the graphics card :D

JetsonRay

Retired Member
Reaction score
He is studying it at university, he is our leader and geek #1 U can trust him :)

damn

Reaction score
Haha okay I trust you :p However, I did some reading now and many people discourage this because of health reasons...Because of the flux fumes supposedly, and I don't really want to poison my family :D or myself for that matter :p

JetsonRay

Retired Member
Reaction score
The most important thing is to set the temperature lower than the melting temperature of the plastic base which should be around 280 Celsius degrees since its PMMA :)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)